Before you submit your application to Temple University, read through these important details.
1. Review Temple's admissions requirements.
Review the information below to ensure that you meet the minimum level of study required for graduate admissions consideration at Temple University. Applicants from certain countries have specific requirements.
For applicants from African countries (other than British- or French-patterned educations), university degree requiring four years of study.
For applicants from Asian countries not specifically identified, university degree requiring four years of study. For requirements specific to applicants educated in China, please see below.
Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Pakistan
For applicants educated in Bangladesh, Nepal and Pakistan, a bachelor’s degree must be earned in agriculture, engineering, forestry, medicine, pharmacy or technology. Note: A three-year bachelor’s degree in arts, business administration, commerce, education or science is not considered sufficient for graduate study at Temple University. With a three-year degree, the student must have earned either a postgraduate diploma or a master’s degree in a related discipline to demonstrate equivalency with a U.S. bachelor’s degree. For requirements specific to applicants educated in India, please see below.
2. Take a test of academic English.
If you have not earned a bachelor's or graduate (master's or doctoral) degree from a U.S. institution, take a test of academic English, such as the TOEFL, IELTS, PTE Academic or Duolingo tests. These scores are required if you were not born in the U.S. and were educated at an international institution, or if you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who earned a degree abroad from an institution for which the language of instruction was not English. Test scores must be reported by the testing service to Temple University within two years of the test date.
Note that if you earned your undergraduate or graduate degree from a country in which English is a commonly used language, you may be exempt from an English language test.
International applicants who do not meet the English proficiency exemptions should note that
- no photocopies of TOEFL or PTE Academic score reports are accepted from applicants. These scores must be sent from the testing service directly to Temple University. The Graduate School uploads scores to your record.
- IELTS scores can be submitted in three ways:
- You can send in an IELTS score report with other application materials. The Graduate School verifies the scores using the IELTS website and adds them to your record.
- You can send in the Test Report Form (TRF) number from the score report. The Graduate School verifies the scores using the IELTS website and adds them to your record.
- You can specify to IELTS that Temple University Graduate School can access your scores. If IELTS notifies Temple scores are available, the Graduate School accesses and loads the scores onto your record.
- when the applicant lists Temple University Graduate School as a score recipient for the Duolingo test, the Graduate School obtains the scores and adds them to your record. If you identify another Temple school or college as the score recipient, score processing will be delayed.
The minimum acceptable scores are outlined below.
Note: These scores are set by the Graduate School; however, some degree programs may have a higher minimum. Applicants should consult the Graduate Bulletin for information on the minimum acceptable scores for their specific degree program.
Electronic report from Educational Testing Service to institution code 2906, with the exception of the College of Public Health and College of Science and Technology. For College of Public Health programs, please refer to your program’s application instructions. The code for the College of Science and Technology is B886.
Similar reporting as that for the TOEFL iBT from Educational Testing Service for this test first administered on August 21, 2021.
TOEFL ITP Plus for China
Similar reporting as that for the TOEFL iBT from Educational Testing Service for this temporary test offered in China during the COVID-19 pandemic. Scores are valid for two years after the test date. Last test taken expires December 19, 2022.
IELTS score report or the TRF number from the report to your admissions department or to the Graduate School at Temple University.
IELTS General Training
Pearson's score report website accessed by the Graduate School online, provided you identify Temple University as a recipient of your scores.
Duolingo score report website accessed by the Graduate School online, provided you identify Temple University Graduate School as a recipient of your scores.
3. Plan to apply as early as possible.
Find your degree program of interest in the Graduate Bulletin, and learn its application deadline and admissions requirements. Deadlines vary by program, and your application must be complete by the program's stated deadline. Apply as early as possible—preferably 90 days before the stated program deadline and by Dec. 15 if you are interested in being nominated for a fellowship.
4. Gather the necessary information.
Begin gathering the documentation needed in support of your application. Some schools and colleges require additional information.